RALPH F. TURNER, P.E.
79 Wardtown Road
Freeport, Maine 04032
Phone: (207) 831-2182
Registered Professional Engineer, Maine
APPOINTED AND ELECTED POSITIONS HELD
- White House Appointee to Maine State Committee, USDA Farm Services Agency, February 2010 to 2015
- Chair Triglyceride Fuel Working Group, American Society For Testing Materials, June 2006 to June 2013
- Board of Directors, Maine Sustainable Agriculture Society, January 2010 to January 2012
- Steering Committee, Farm Energy Partners, January 2013 to 2014
- Board of Directors, Maine Rural Partners, January 2013 to 2014
- University of Maine President’s Appointee to Maine Board of Agriculture, January 2013 to 2015
University of Maine at Orono, Maine
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Laughing Stock Farm, Freeport, Maine, Co-Owner
- Saco Defense, Inc., Saco, Maine, Plant Engineer
- Maine Electronics, Inc., Out of Business, Facility Engineer
- Fox & Ginn, Inc., Out of Business, Logistics Planner
- Erie Management Group, Erie, Pennsylvania, Owners Representative
- Enterprise Engineering, Inc., Freeport, Maine, Anchorage, Alaska, Engineer
- Peak Oilfield Services Company, Anchorage, Alaska, Project Manager
Following are highlights of significant projects in which I have played a key role. I have been involved in numerous other engineering and construction projects all over North America.
- Designed, constructed, and operate 17,000 s.f. greenhouses, refrigerated storage, irrigation, storage, process equipment, and maintenance buildings for Laughing Stock Farm, a 12 acre vegetable farm in Freeport, Maine.
- Designed, constructed and operate a Maine Department of Agriculture Development Grant at Laughing Stock Farm, a commercial scale greenhouse heating system using triglycerides (vegetable oil) as burner fuel for space heating.
- Contracted as owner’s representative and technical director on the design and construction of a 45 million gal/yr multi-feedstock biodiesel plant in Erie, PA. Responsibilities included design of the plant layout and plant process flow, as well as single point of contact for coordination of the detailed design by the biodiesel process technology provider and design build project general contractor.
- Co-Chair of ASTM D02, Subcommittee “P,” working group which is developing an international standard specification for triglyceride burner fuels. This specification, when adopted, will allow burner manufacturers to obtain certification of their burners from third party listing agencies and will allow buyers and sellers of triglycerides to contract their transactions with certainty.
- Managed design and construction of warm storage facilities at pump stations 3, 4, 5, and 12 of the Trans Alaska Pipeline. $4.5 million capital cost.
- Provided on-site construction engineering Peak for UNOCAL Flare Project located in Kenai, Alaska, including managing design changes and directing all civil, structural, mechanical and process aspects of construction. $12 million capital cost.
- Provided construction surveillance of major repairs (tank bottom replacements including concrete foundations) in Fairbanks and Whittier, Alaska. $12 million capital and expense cost.
- Managed construction of 2,800 foot long, pier to tank farm, 24″ crude oil pipeline and tank farm valve station in Nikiski, Alaska. $1 million capital cost.
- Managed design and construction of prototype test separator skid for metering crude liquid and gas components on Alaska’s North Slope.
- Managed and conducted API 653 tank inspections from Fairbanks, Alaska to Charleston, South Carolina on tanks ranging in size from 5,000 to 120,000 barrels.
- Prepared detailed plans and specifications for industrial bulk chemical storage and distribution system for sulfuric and nitric acids; sodium hydroxide and aqueous ammonia in Lisbon, Maine.